What to expect before and during a consultation
Before the initial consultation:
- Once you make your appointment you’ll get a health questionnaire with lifestyle diary to fill in and email back to me minimum 3 working days before your visit. Completing these gives a good idea of your stress levels, workload, digestion, potential nutrient, deficiencies, exercise habits and food preferences. This saves time during the consultation, keeping it affordable, allowing you to get the best value out of your face-time with me.
During a consultation:
- Taking into account your likes and dislikes, cooking ability, time and financial constraints we will together negotiate a realistic, “do-able” strategy aimed at supporting your body’s own natural healing ability.
- Usually this is phased, with the patient judging how much is realistic for them to successfully change over a 3-4 week period. For you to get the most out of our working together it is important that you are up-front about what you feel is realistic for you to do. At the end of the consultation, you will get written programme and possibly meal or snack ideas, easy-to-do recipes or shopping ideas. You may also get some background information sheets on imbalances that are impacting on your wellbeing.
Depending on your health questionnaire, case history and initial discussion with Anna, certain lab tests may be recommended, though none are obligatory.
Some of these tests might be easily available at hospitals via your GP. Examples of such hospital tests include ferritin and haemoglobin, dihydrotestosterone (especially useful for assessing causes of male pattern baldness or prostate issues), 25 hydroxy vitamin D, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, T3 and T4, anti TPO antibodies and anti TG antibodies. Only the tests I deem relevant will be recommended to you. In many instances I do not recommend lab tests.
Some examples of laboratory tests that cannot be found in the Irish medical system include:
- Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis/Parasitology tests
- Iodine deficiency testing
- Testing for chronic Lyme disease
- Hair mineral analysis
- IgG and IgA food sensitivity testing
- Adrenal Stress Index (salivary cortisol and DHEA testing)
- Autoimmune testing. Cutting edge tests from Cyrex can predict (and stave off) autoimmune disease before it develops.
- Selected genetic testing
All tests are through licensed, accredited laboratories. Once the results come in I give you a copy and a detailed explanation from myself.
Labs used include Armin Labs, Biolab, Cyrex, Doctors Data, Genova Diagnostics and Mineral Check.