Roast Red Peppers with Tomatoes & Basil
Everyone loves these. Eat as a starter with wholemeal gluten-free bread or (if you eat a little gluten) fresh 100% rye sourdough bread to soak up the sweet juices. Last week we served them as a side with marinaded roast chicken pieces on a bed of cooked millet (with basil pesto and sliced spring onions stirred in). Yum!
I’m not usually an anchovy lover but here they really do make it much more delicious!
4 red peppers
4 medium tomatoes
8 small anchovy fillets
2 cloves garlic
8 dsp (dessertspoons) extra virgin olive oil
Fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Cut peppers in half lengthways, remove seeds, keeping green stalks intact and lay in a lightly oiled roasting tin or ovenproof dish.
3. Peel garlic, slice thinly and divide between the pepper halves.
4. To each pepper half add an anchovy that you snipped into rough pieces.
5. Quarter tomatoes, removing the woody centre, and place 2 pieces in each pepper half.
6. Spoon 1 dsp oil into each pepper half and season with freshly milled black pepper.
7. Place on a high shelf in the oven for 50 mins to 1 hour – they should be wrinkled and semi-collapsed and filled with lots of lovely sweet garlicky pepper juices.
8. Garnish with a few scattered basil leaves.